Tax Liabilities For Business and Work Visas

Business and Work Visas

There are a number of different temporary work visas that may be available if you have business or employment opportunities in Australia.

The following visas may be available to you:

  • Temporary (Short term) Business visas for business people to explore business opportunities in Australia;
  • Temporary (Long term) Business visas (up to 4 years duration) for people offered employment in Australia or with business interests;
  • Medical practitioner’s work visa, designed for the employment of medical practitioners who are providing medical services, particularly (but not limited to) regional health services; and
  • Other specialized visas, such as working holiday visas, short term visas for visiting academics, entertainers, sports people, media and film staff, religious workers, domestic workers or people seeking medical treatment.

There are a number of visas available, and you should consult us to assess your eligibility for a visa based on your specific circumstances.

The most common visa applied for of the temporary work and business visas is the Long Term visa for people offered employment, or with business opportunities.

Temporary (Long Stay) Business Visa

This visa is for individuals who have business interests in Australia for longer than 3 months. The visa may be granted for up to 4 years.

This visa is processed in 3 stages, namely the Sponsorship and Nomination applications, as well as the Visa Application. The Department will first assess the eligibility of the sponsoring business and the nominated position, and finally, your application for the nominated position. Both you and your Sponsoring Employer will need to provide the Department with relevant information. For more information on visas see

You can lodge your application from within Australia, or at the nearest overseas post. If you are in Australia and your application is refused, you may be able to review this decision at the Migration Review Tribunal (‘MRT’).

You can also include family members, including interdependent partners, on this visa.

Entertainment Visas

Entertainment Visas allow overseas performers to work in the Australian entertainment industry.

All Entertainment Visa applications must be sponsored regardless of the period of your stay. Sponsors of performers in commercial productions need to consult relevant body within the entertainment industry to ensure industry standards are met. They also need to consult the relevant union so as to satisfy the Department that a net employment benefit to the industry will occur.

If you are applying for an Entertainment Visa because you intend to participate in film and television productions, a certificate from the Department of Communications, Information Technology and the Arts (‘DCITA’) is also required with your application.

Sports Visas

This visa allows sportspeople who are of Australian national competition level or higher to enter Australia on a temporary basis.

You need to provide a letter of endorsement from the relevant national sporting body confirming that you are of current Australian national competition level or higher.

Depending on the activity and the length of your intended stay in Australia, you may require a sponsorship. Generally, players, coaches, trainees and instructors must be sponsored.

Medical Treatment Visa

Medical treatment visas may be available if you want to come to Australia for medical treatment, or if you want to accompany someone traveling to Australia for medical treatment. You may also be granted a medical visa if you are coming to Australia to donate an organ for transplant.

There are both short stay (less than 3 months) and long stay (more then 3 months) visas. To be eligible, you must be:

  • Coming to Australia for medical treatment; or
  • Coming to Australia to support someone getting medical treatment; or
  • Coming to Australia to donate an organ;
  • Be a genuine visitor;
  • Have adequate funds to support yourself; and
  • Meet character, public interest and return criteria.

If you are over 50 and have had a permanent visa refused on health grounds, you may be able to stay in Australia for medical treatment if you are found to be unfit to leave. Generally you can only stay for the length of time of your treatment, and cannot work. You may also be able to travel back and forward from your home country.